Thursday, July 2, 2009

Observations on the Sound

Art Glowka and I started the first of many surveys yesterday. This was taken a mile south of Westcott cove in 80 feet of water. It was a slightly subsurface sample and the water temperature was 63 F out there. The sky was slightly overcast, so there was no direct sun.
He wanted me to look for the nutrients I can do, I got curious.
Samples were taken at 5, 7, 9 and 11 AM at the same location.
There was no reactive phosphate or nitrite-nitrogen.
The nitrate nitrogen varied between 0.525 mg/L to 0.629 mg/L.
The Secchi dish reading was between 4 and 5.
That is not a lot of nutrient and the nitrogen level is consistent with what everyone else has found.

Now for me.
the pH varied between 8.17 to 8.25
There were no indicator bacteria in any sample.
No total or fecal coliform and no enterococcus species.
There were a few non-coliform bacteria growing on the total coliform plate, they are not significant except that they a aerobic bacteria.
Turbidity varied between 1.32 to 1.64 NTUs.
The sample would be considered very clean.

3 comments:

Zainuddin Haji Sulaiman said...

Before I comment your posting, I would to apologize because this is supposedly not a comment, but rather of mentioning that I have stopped for a while at your site, which I am attracted at your academic postings which normally I found the bloggers seldom use blog as a way for them to channel their idea or intellectuality which I think this is a very good idea that I want to take as an example.

I hailed from Malaysia, and never been to United States, except Australia.

Unknown said...

zainuddin - your comments and own observations from your part of the world are welcome.
Since I have 2 blogs, one which detail a long road of recovery from a large tumor in the back of my head. This one details work that I have done for 30 years. It has been the best way to post current information without necessarily coming to conclusions. On the other hand I have been published (which is unusual for a local government worker) in the Journal of Environmental Health. In August I will have another research published.

Zainuddin Haji Sulaiman said...

Actually, I am also suffering from quite a serious illness namely, BAD, Bipolar Affective Disorder, which is one type of Psychiatry illness about thirty years ago. Now I am 45 years old. I begun suffering from the illness since I was 16 years old. Currently, my eldest child, who is my only daughter is already 18 years of age who has just enrolled at one of University in my hometown in the course of computer science.

Thanks for replying my comment.

This seems like we're on chatting, due of technology.

Maybe I will read your another blog of how you fighting your tumor.
Because from there, I may learn something which I can't find anywhere except at your very own blog, might be, I guess.

Thanks and regards from me Zainuddin