Thursday, March 18, 2010

Poll results

I was surprised and learned some things.
The first is that there is a movement away from bleach usage, but it is very small and most people have no idea about it.
While the poll was not scientifically random, it did include a wide cross section of people.
27 responders
3 no longer use bleach or try to use other products labeled "eco-friendly"
that left 24 in the category of "Who does not use bleach?"
To me, the 3 are significant in that I was not aware of any do not use bleach movement.
I had no responders from out of the USA.
The 3 were from different areas of the country, were different age groups and different politics (I am very sure of this in 2 cases, but not the third).
I learned something.

2 comments:

patty said...

I am late to the party but happy to tell you my approach. As a swimmer, it's impossible for me to avoid chlorine. At my house, I use eco friendly dish detergent and laundry detergent. I haven't used mildew remover in at least a decade. I don't use chlorox wipes. Heck, I don't use ammonia either. However, from time to time (maybe 6x/year) I will use 1/4 cup of bleach with my white laundry items. I am looking forward to replacing my very old washing machine; when I do, I suspect I won't need to use bleach at all any longer.

Unknown said...

I would bet Kate from HOLDFAST SEEKER doesn't use bleach.

As for me, I have gotten in the habit of using a lot of citrus based cleaners, especially on the boat for day to day cleaning. And baking soda too. I still use bleach and strong cleaners, but much less so, and only when truly needed.